Lines are important. A line in the middle of the road shows us where to drive. A property line tells others what is ours. Without these markers life would be in chaos.
In the opening chapter of the Bible God established differences in His creation. Without these basic differences there would be darkness and confusion.
- The line between God and the world (Gen. 1:1). “God” is not just another word for nature. The creation is not the Creator. God is above and outside of the world. He made it and sustains it but He is not the world. God is the personal Supreme Being who loves us. The world only exists because of God. When people try to blur or erase this line they commit a horrible crime against God. Read Romans 1:18-21 with Genesis 1 and you will see what has happened and what continues to happen when people deny this truth.
- The line between God and man (Gen. 1:26). We are nothing compared to God. We are nothing without God. He is so much wiser and stronger than we are that we cannot comprehend His essence. This should humble us. But how often do people act like they are wiser than God? How many people live like they are in charge, not God? How can some exalt a man over God? No matter how intelligent and powerful men become, they will never be able to compare with the glory of God’s being.
- The line between body and spirit (Gen. 1:26). There is more to mankind than the physical body. Every person has an immortal spirit. Unless people recognize both they will not be able to understand the purpose and duty of human beings. It is our spirit that gives us true worth. We are made in the spiritual image or likeness of God. Some day our body will return to dust but our spirit will return to God (Ecc. 12:7). This line leads to the next one.
- The line between man and animals (Gen. 1:28; 9:1-6). People have a spirit God gave them. Animals do not. We are below the angels but we are far above animals. There is no way to uphold the line between right and wrong if we ignore the line between mankind and animals. Yet we see people around us trying to erase this line God has established. Evolution teaches that we are just animals without a soul. No wonder some people act like animals.
- The line between male and female (Gen. 1:27). God made mankind as a part of nature and nature draws a line between males and females. God defines “male” and “female” because He made us. Scientists and psychologists didn’t invent the idea of gender. They can’t do anything to change it because it is built into God’s creation. In spite of attempts to erase this line, nature is what it is and it will always have male and female. Homosexuality is against nature (Rom. 1:26-27).
The only way out of the moral crisis in America is to get back to teaching children from an early age about these lines.
Ring Out the Message Blog Posts Tennessee Bible College America animals Bible body and spirit children Christian Christianity creation Creator duty of human beings Genesis God God and man God and the world God's creation humility immortal lines male and female man and animals moral crisis morals pyschologists Romans Scientists Spirit teaching teaching children wisdom